A journey of the Hasseman family and our life here in Coshocton County

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Where there's a will...there's a way!

I had decided the world's forces were conspiring against me doing this Columbus Half Marathon! As I mentioned earlier, I was late for registering for the race...so it was sold out. I was so frustrated that I had trained all this time only to be locked out. And the worsed part..it was my own fault!

Then early this week I had "foot issue." On a long run, the pain began to build until it was bad enough that I went to get an x-ray. The results were negative, so I decided that I would just rest it and hope for the best.

Early this week as I was stewing in my own frustration about my lack of registration, I saw Sherry Kirkpatrick. She pointed out that a friend of mine, Jason Given, had registered for the race...but was unable to do it! Jason agreed to let me use his name! And I was back in business.

So I decided I was going to do my best to ignore the foot pain...and give it a go!

Now the problem with race packet pickup...you couldn't do it the day of the race. And since the night before I was on stage at Triple Locks Theater...problem. But Sherry and Lucy Milliken said they would pick it up for me. Another disaster averted!

Then came last night at the play.

Without going into gory details that you do NOT want to know, I had "intestinal issues." I barely made it through the play (and I mean BARELY!) but was hurting bad last night. I decided to try and sleep it off and hope for the best this morning.

So at 4am I awoke (with the best wife ever Amy) and we made the trip to Columbus! And yes I wanted to give it a try! Here is a shot of my before the race. It was 30 degrees as the race began at 7:30am...wow!



Here is a shot from the beginning. It was just a sea of people. Over 11,000 people ran this race...unbelieveable!



Here is a shot where Amy saw me on the course. I am about to give a high five to an enthusiastic "cheerer" in the crowd!



And right behind me was Lucy and Sherry!



And in the end I did it! Of all the races I have done, I think I am more proud of this finish than any other. My foot hurts. My stomach is still a bit iffy. And of course I am very stiff. But I finished!



And here is a shot of Sherry's son Brent, Sherry, Me, and Lucy! Congrats to all of them too!



This race turned out to be a bit of a relay. Thanks to Jason for letting me use his number! Thanks to Sherry and Lucy for picking up my packet and delivering it this morning! And thanks to the best wife in the world for going over with me and taking pictures!

3 Comments:

Blogger Bill said...

I'm very proud of you my friend! Talk about sharpening the old saw....That was a monumental effort! How do I know....My son Wes was there too.... RUNNING THE FULL MARATHON!....4 hours and 33 minutres of heavy effort. Congratulations to YOU who inspire US! By the way...we now have 8 of us coming on Saturday night...no pressure there or anything! I just talked to Scott Lane today who's dieing to come but can't. I'll see you then.

6:17 PM

 
Blogger Valerie said...

Way to go Kirby. I didn't run a marathon or anything, but I did play Parents vs. Kids after Brayden's last soccer game of the season. OK, so I picked a position where I didn't have to run too much, but I was active!

7:27 PM

 
Blogger Salle Beckwith said...

Hey - you did it! GLad you didn't listen to my advice. I'm very proud of you for your recent accomplishments - the race and the play. I really wish I could see that, but the $384 ticket to Ohio is a bit steep. Good luck your last two shows!

2:24 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home