A journey of the Hasseman family and our life here in Coshocton County

Monday, July 23, 2007

What a trip!

So you will have noticed a lack of posts recently. I have been out of town on business and it's time to catch up! The trip took me to Keystone Colorado--a beautiful place--and I will have pictures to share soon!

But let me tell you about my trip back! Here is the letter that is going to the airline:

To whom it may concern:

I am writing to discuss with you the details of an extremely difficult experience I recently had on your airline. A business trip took me to Keystone Colorado the week of July 15. I was scheduled to fly back home (to Ohio) on Thursday July 19th on a 10am flight (scheduled to arrive at 2:51pm). Unfortunately a business emergency came up and I needed to bump up my flight to leave on Wednesday July 18th at 6:35pm. In order to do this, I had to pay an extra $115. Then I had to rent a car ($200) to get into the Denver International Airport on time.

When I got the airport I was not able to check in because I was told that I still owed the $115 and was asked to pay that again (yes I am investigating if I was actually charged twice). So you can see a fair amount of money I am investing to simply make it back to the meeting.

At approximately 6:00 the first sign of trouble began. The flight was initially delayed from 6:35 to 7:05 and passengers were asked to change gates. Any regular traveler is used to minor changes like this and I barely batted an eye. Unfortunately this was just the beginning.

The delays continued nearly every 15 minutes to 1/2 hour for the next 5 hours. Each time they assured us that the next thing they were going to do would fix the problem. Once they finally cancelled the flight they told us that we would be "comped a room" however, there were no rooms available! So at approximately midnight mountain time, travelers were forced to scramble to make other flight arrangements AND decide which slice of airport floor they were going to curl up on.

I made arrangements to leave on a 6am flight to Washington Dulles the next morning. After what can only be described as a "painful" night, I awoke to find that the 6am flight to Dulles was delayed as well! Again, I scrambled to find another flight...but then the 6am flight came off delay and reported that they would be leaving on time at 6am. With begrudging help at best from customer service, we boarded the plane...and waited.

My connecting flight in Dulles left 1 hour and 15 minutes after the flight was scheduled to land. Unfortunately, 1 hour and 20 minutes later, we had not taken off! At that point my wife began working the phones to see if she could get any information on the flight from Dulles to Columbus. She was told that if I did not make the 12:30pm flight, then the next flight would be at 8:11pm!

Fortunately for me, the flight to Dulles, which landed late, got me there in time for another delay. The flight to Columbus had been--you guessed it--delayed! I was initially pleased (since I did not have to wait until late Thursday to leave Washington) but then we proceeded to sit on the Tarmack there as well!

The flight (that was supposed to leave Washington at 12:30) from Dulles to Columbus finally left the ground at approximately 2pm. We landed in Columbus at 3pm. That's right! It was 10 minutes after the flight I was initally scheduled to be on would have landed!

Based on this remarkable display of incompetence, lack of customer service, and a complete disregard for passenger welfare, I request a full refund of my flight costs, (including the obvious upgrades to move the flight up) the cost of the rental car, and the additional day of parking that was paid due to these mistakes.

If you would like more details, or would like to discuss this with me personally please contact me at my contact information below!

So...wanna fly on United?

1 Comments:

Blogger Tom Broadwater said...

I'll have to get my wife to read this. She's always questioning why I'm a "drive if at all possible" person. I've had my fair share of similar experiences with various airlines and airport security.

9:34 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home