A journey of the Hasseman family and our life here in Coshocton County

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

All In A Nights Work

So it's probably good we are going to Disney soon...because I am now a mouse hunter.

Last night as Amy, the girls and I were getting ready to watch some TV--I saw something move. Well...maybe scurry is the word I was looking for. At any rate, the "thing" scurried into Amy and I's bedroom.

Not wanting to alarm the women of the house, I went to do my manly duty...and look for the "scurrier." I armed myself with a shoe and went on the hunt. My wife, who can read my like a book, came to see "what was the matter." I explained quietly that I might have seen something head into the room.

"Like a MOUSE?!" she said loudly? And then the whole house knew.

I looked for him for a while and then decided that maybe it was a figment of my imagination...and went back to watching TV. And then the fun began.

About every 15 minutes or so, the mouse would peek out at us. He would then do what I can only assume is the mouse equivalent of giving us the finger, and would scurry away out of sight again.

This went on for a couple of hours.

Finally, after we had convinced the girls to go to bed, the mouse began his risky game again. After once or twice with no success, I saw him again. This time I was ready with a trusty hiking boot in my hand. I waited until he was completely out in the open...and...fired!

The boot, of course, missed him. (On the bright side it did break the handle off a chest). But it must have startled him enough to change directions! I channeled him into a corner behind a lamp.

"Get my shoe," I told Amy. "What?" she said. So I took off the shoe on my foot and looked for an opening. There was none. The mouse darted left...then right...then left again giving me no opportunity to swing (without breaking someting else). But I had him completely cornered with no way to escape.

Unless he was a diabolical mastermind...which he was. He darted away again!

I was not going to lose this time though and I went after him relentlessly in hot pursuit. I swung at him as he darted right and left. He took off for another corner and I dove swinging my other shoe as I went.

I missed of course. And I lost my shoe. (As you can imagine at this point Amy is laughing so hysterically that she is absolutely no good to me at all). I asked her for another shoe (I really didn't want to hit it with my hand...that would have been icky) but all she got was a camera.



So now I am sweaty. And I have rug burned knees. But I won.



I am Kirby Hasseman...Mouse Hunter.

4 Comments:

Blogger Bill said...

OK...OK....I give up....this gets the Post of the Year Award!!! Hilarious! I pictured the whole thing....including Amy's laughter and you .....darting right....then left....much as you did in the Kirby Basketball Challenge game. I too know the feeling of triumph of conquering the "dragon" to save the fair maidens....but I also know "the agony of defeat!"

7:31 PM

 
Blogger Kirby Hasseman said...

I felt like a moron. The damn thing has probably come back to life and is living in my basement!

7:54 PM

 
Blogger Tom Broadwater said...

Hilarious!

9:24 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG Kirby! This was absolutely hilarious to read! I am laughing out loud...

I'm glad you included the picture of the dead mouse!! : ) Too funny!

6:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home