A journey of the Hasseman family and our life here in Coshocton County

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Late Night Fun at the Hassemans!

This is a continuing series on testing Kirby's mettle as a dad and husband!

It's been an interesting couple of days here at the Hasseman house. As you may have read below (and if not check out the pictures!) my wife had surgery to remove a fibroid tumor. It was so large, particularly considering where it resided, that I have considered naming it Howie!

Since Amy returned home I have done my best to play the role of Mr. Mom. She is of course, recovering. And if she wants that recovery to happen quickly, she needs to rest and let me do the housework. It's killing her! And though I think I have done a respectable job, it's not been flawless. And as I mentioned the other day, I can't keep the house clean to my standards...it has to be close to hers. Otherwise she will feel the need to do it herself!

On Monday night, after falling into bed in the post-work, running kids, cleaning, exhaustion, I heard a voice. It was my oldest daughter's voice.

"Don't worry mommy," she said. "Daddy...Jade threw up all over the room."

"Awesome," I heard myself say. And I wiped the sleep from my eyes (glancing at 1:30am on the clock) and went upstairs.

Those of you who have done this before know the wave of rancid odor that hit me as I walked through the door. Jade had not made it far out of bed so she was surrounded by nastiness. And God love her...she had not moved in fear of making a bigger mess! She just stood there--in the middle of Lake Vomit--and waited for me to clean her up.

Needless to say it took some time to clean up the mess. And I dare say I have to use the carpet cleaner tonight. But it was another emergency averted by "Super Dad."

Wow...I can't wait until Amy is better!

1 Comments:

Blogger Bill said...

You....Kirby ARE THE MAN! You have met one of the greatest tests a man can face....and conquered. WHERE IS THAT MEDAL OF HONOR!!!??? I know that you were faced with the great temptation of calling on Amy (now minus Howie...) and counting on the fact that you have allowed her the time to recover just enough to be able to handle this situation.....BUT YOU CHOSE THE HIGH ROAD. You walked right into that sea of puke and rescued the fair maiden! We stand in awe.

7:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home