A journey of the Hasseman family and our life here in Coshocton County

Sunday, January 20, 2008

An emotional night

If you read any book that truly examines helping you become a better or effective person (i.e. Seven Habits of Highly Effective People) they often tell you to picture your own funeral. What do you want people to say about you? How do you want to be remembered? Then, they say, set out to live your life to mirror that vision.

The problem of course is that you are dead. You don't get to enjoy that day when everyone says those nice things about you.

But last night I attended my uncle Steve Hasseman's retirement party...and it was the best of both worlds. Everyone got up and waxed eloquent about the virtues of Steve...and he was alive to enjoy it!

It was interesting because Steve Hasseman was a police officer. In fact at one point he was the Agent in Charge of Liquor Control in the State of Ohio. He is a tough guy...as are his peers. So it was interesting to see extremely tough guys with guns crying and bearing their emotional souls. In a way, I don't think I should have been there. And in a way, it was pretty cool too.

At any rate, it was an emotional night. And though one part of me would love to be in the room when folks talk about me in retrospect, I think I will pass on the retirement party. It was too emotionally draining! Everyone will just have to wait for the funeral!

Congratulations Steve. You have earned it!

2 Comments:

Blogger Bill said...

Great blogs my friend. The insights at your uncle's retirement remind me how important it is to be "real" and build into the lives of the community and individual lives of others. Great to catch up woth you in front of corporate.

5:06 AM

 
Blogger Valerie said...

I've always just been curious as to who would come to my funeral and will Given-Dawson have enough parking spaces, LOL.

4:02 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home