A journey of the Hasseman family and our life here in Coshocton County

Friday, November 03, 2006

Let me introduce you to...

Scooter--The Deerslayer!



This morning, still clutching my first cup of coffee, I shuffled to the door both semi-dressed and semi-conscious. Each morning I take this time to let my dog Scooter out for his morning absolutions. He usually goes about his business quickly as he knows a treat will be waiting in the warm kitchen.

This morning, Scooter trotted out to the front yard and stopped immediately. His ears were back and his eyes alert, looking over to my right. In between sips of coffee, I mumbled at him to hurry up, unaware of the deer that was standing 15 feet just to my right.

The fearless Scooter (apparently forgetting that he is the size of my shoe) sprints at the deer! The deer (apparently forgetting that he is the size of my car) runs away! I then realized through my morning fog that I had to go after the dog. Nothing like a brisk, freezing, barefooted run through the woods at 6:45am to wake you up!

Scooter, who is normally pretty slow, kept up with the deer until they hit the tall brush in our wood behind the house. Confused and trapped, he darted in a circle as I caught up, cold and angry.

So never fear! During the summer, Amy's hostas were eaten by the deer. But now they will all be scared to death of the house with Scooter--The Deerslayer!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home