A journey of the Hasseman family and our life here in Coshocton County

Saturday, January 13, 2007

A maddening trip through governmental bureaucracy!

Yesterday was my birthday and as a dutiful citizen I went yesterday to the BMV to have my drivers license renewed. So I took a number and waited patiently until it was time for me to complete my task.

"32," the lady called and I walked to the desk. I removed my current license from my wallet and said, "I need to renew my drivers license." Then I gave her my friendly smile.

She pointed out that I did not have my social security number on my license. I nodded, still smiling. "Do you have your social security card?" she asked. I did not so she told me that I could not have it renewed. I stopped smiling...and left.

(Please allow me a quick tangent as I point out that every expert tells you NOT to have your SSN on anything...but I digress).

So today I went back to the BMV, again without my social security card, which I cannot currently find. I did, however, take W-2's, bank statments, and even my passport! I walked to the counter this time and quickly explained the situation. She looked at my license, documentation, and friendly smile and said, "We don't take none of those."

She told me that I needed to go to the Zanesville office and get them to print a copy of my social security card. Then I could bring that back and that would work as proof of my identity. I paused. Then I said, "If I go to Zanesville, how will I prove that I am me there?"

She looked at me and said...

wait for it...

"With your I.D."

I rubbed my temples to make my head stop hurting and said, "Is the irony lost on you?"

Now to this woman's defense, it is not her fault. And she gave me an easier way to find proof of my identity. But I guess I find it funny that with my passport I can go to Cuba...but I can't get a new drivers license. Ah...homeland security. I feel so safe.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bill said...

With your citizenship in the Great Country of The United States of America comes American Bureaucracy ...especially at the BMV! Don't try to make sense of it...just do it!

3:55 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great!...my birthday is Friday and I'm currently procrastinating on taking the same trip to the BMV. I'm 29 so it'll be a new license and new plates. Man...I hope my luck is better than yours. That quote "We dont take none of those" is classic Coshocton County.

11:09 AM

 
Blogger Kirby Hasseman said...

Now come on Tom...I have heard just that sort of fantastic grammar in the Greater Columbus area too! :)

1:41 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home